Friday, June 4, 2010

Who is this Girl?

I am the kind of girl who visits the mailbox multiple times a day when waiting for a package or some news. I am the kind of girl who cannot focus on anything else when there is a pressing or exciting matter unresolved. I am the kind of girl who sets a goal, and always reaches it, though usually at the expense of every other little thing in my life. Or at least that used to be this girl.

But here I am with a completed novel and no agent. Two agents have requested the full manuscript and have it, but I am somehow staying calm while waiting on word from them. I have final essays to grade this week, not to mention other teaching obligations. There is more laundry to do, a dishwasher and dish rack to unload, and there are so, so many other chores that need to be done. Cheerios are everywhere in my house they should not be. Yet, I took my kids to the zoo and then out for a treat at a coffee shop today. Somehow I am not stressed at all about my unpublished novel or my ever growing to-do list. Who is this girl?

Really, I don't know. I don't know if I have stressed myself out for so long that I am now numb to anticipation, disappointment, excitement, anxiety, and all those other feelings I have always known so well. Or maybe God has granted me a day off from my usually crazy self. Or it's possible that motherhood is mellowing me out. Who knows? Not me, and you know, I don't even need to know. See what I mean? This is Mellow Brittany.

3 comments:

  1. I reached this point about two weeks ago. It was a really weird zen day. It lasted for a bit, then I went all neurotic. You probably won't go the crazy route that I went though, because I think you have reached a new level; I was just visiting that level and zipped right back to my usual neurotic state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, I am so very happy to finally "meet" up with you, even if it is on a blog. I love your writing and yes, you have a wonderful way with words; much more than a woman your age.
    Please visit my blog and see what I am "good" at. http://delspspemporium.blogspot.com/ LOL I love digital designing! This is one of my many blessings that I am most grateful for.
    I look forward to reading more posts here.
    Big Hugs,
    Aunt DeLoris

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is that I am just visiting here, too, Nikaya. We'll see.

    Aunt DeLoris, I am so, so happy you read and left a comment here. :) It is so great to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete