Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Stressing or Not, the Pink and Purple Will Make it into Boxes

We're moving. The family with three little girls and a home full of things pink and purple is packing up and moving out of state. And we're moving soon. Very soon, as in this very month soon. And in this house of ours is not one box packed full of all of our pink and purple things. That's right. We haven't begun to pack. At all. And does this freak me out? Does this send me into fits of desperation as I look around me and see all the dolls and pictures and tea cups that need to be packed and moved to another state in a matter of days? Absolutely not. I'm cool as a cucumber. Huh. Never thought I'd use that phrase, but there it is.

And while I could just say I'm a procrastinator, and I'll get to packing and freaking out at the very last minute, I somehow believe there won't be any freaking out about packing. At least not from this mommy, because you know what...I think I've reached my limit on things to freak out about. It's just stuff. It's just boxes and moving trucks and packing paper and dotted lines to sign on. It'll get done, and if it doesn't, then we'll just have to leave some pink and purple stuff behind and get ourselves to our new home in the mountains without it.

Here's the thing. As many mommies out there would probably agree, there just aren't enough hours in the day and room in the brain for obsessing over everything and for making everything a priority. Oh, don't get me wrong. I obsess, and I certainly prioritize, but not everything in my life has room on the top of my list anymore. Things like last play dates with friends, story time, and afternoon baking with the kids time....those are on my list these days. And, of course, managing the clutter in my living room is and always will be near the top of my list. I try not to care about it as much, but it drives me crazy sometimes. Anyway, when the items are checked off the top of my list, then I log on to the online classes I teach. And then I hope against hope to get some kind of writing down, writing and revising my novels and query letters being the first priority, and then on a rare night like tonight I hop on over to saltthesugar.blogspot.com and pound out some thoughts. And then, hopefully I'll get some sleep before I start again at the top of my list.

So, what in the world is my point here? I guess I'm just sitting here, exhausted but also ready to move on to the place our family is going to call home as our kids grow, and I'm thinking that there's a lot to do, but it's not going to get done tonight. And I'm thinking it's a strange feeling to sit here typing and not be moving around my house like a crazy person as I try to get it all done tonight. So you see, all I'm really saying is that I've finally found something that I seem to be completely lackadaisical about, and it's a pretty great feeling, especially for a multi-tasking mom of busy little ones.

And it makes me wonder....Surely I'm not alone in this. I wonder if there are any other go-getter busy busies out there who one day found themselves feeling like sipping on some sweet tea and leaving the packing...or the mopping or the bill paying or the stack of papers to grade or whatever it is...for another day...even if "another day" turns out to be the last day possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment